Interesting series of articles being written (this week's post might be the last, I'm not clear on that) over at Slate.com on Grief. The author is Meghan O'Rourke, and she lost her mother to cancer recently.
The first article, posted back in February, starts here.
The second article talked about metaphors for "where" someone is. In a physical way. And it was interesting to me, because... well, she's right. Daddy's in the light. Either in the way it streaks through rain and mist to make rainbows (sometimes complex ones in fact), or the sunrise, or sunset... or just the way the light feels in the mist and rain. Sometimes, everyonce in a while, he's in the sound of rain... but it's almost always light, to be honest.
Other bits and pieces of the series (there are seven articles in total), were interesting and resonated with me, but that one particular part really struck me.
3 comments:
They are really well written... and quite hard to read at times. I think writing is a natural way of coping with grief - but doing it so well is quite amazing.
Also, just thought I should let you know (as my one and only follower!), I made a bit of a mess of my poetry blog today (Window: Jenny Adamthwaite) which resulted in my starting a new one. It's still under the same username; it's just on a new thread. Don't ask!
They were well-written, and I think coming to them 4+ years after my own father's death made them easier... but able to relate. Because they were a bit hard to read, yes, at times.
And as I've almost anhilated web-real-estate before myself, I sympathize. :) I follow you over at your other blog, so I'm probably good. Would it help if I unfollowed so that you could just delete?
No, it's OK - I deleted it to begin with, but then I realised it would result in a lot of broken links, so I've put it back up with a redirection note. Thanks though.
Post a Comment